LEMON POPPY-SEED SHORTBREAD BARS
- 1 Unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup Confectioners' sugar plus additional for sprinkling the bars
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest grated
- 3/4 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Poppy seeds
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- In a bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter with 1/2 cup of the confectioners' sugar and beat the mixture until it is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the zest and the vanilla, add the poppy seeds, the flour, and the salt, and beat the mixture until it is just combined.
- Press the mixture evenly into a buttered 8-inch square baking pan and bake it in the middle of a preheated 300 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until it is pale golden.
- Let the shortbread cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, cut it into 24 bars, and let the bars cool completely in the pan.
- Sprinkle the bars with the additional confectioners' sugar. Yield: 24 cookies
Exported from MasterCook II