Herb and Bacon Corn-bread Stuffing
we made this recipe for thanksgiving 2012 at Tammy's house.
- 2 loaves corn bread
- 6 large celery ribs
- 1 lb Onions about 2 large
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs thyme, sage, rosemary, and/or marjoram (or 2 tbsp mixed dried herbs, crumbled)
- 1 cup turkey giblet stock or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reserved fat from roast turkey or melted butter
- preheat oven to 325*F. and butter a 4-quart baking dish.
- Cut corn bread into 1/2-inch cubes and dry in 2 large shallow baking pans in oven 20 min.
- Remove corn bread from oven and leave oven at 325*F.
- Coarsely chop separately celery, onions and bacon.
- In a large, deep skillet saute bacon over moderately high heat, stirring until browned, about 10 min.
- Add celery and onions and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add herbs and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, 1 min.
- In a large bowl toss together corn and bacon mixture and transfer to baking dish. stuffing may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and cooled completely before being chilled, covered.
- Drizzle stock or broth over stuffing and bake, uncovered, in upper third of oven 30 minutes more, or until top is golden.