Fig Newtons # 4
- 12 Oz Dried figs chopped
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 1 Cup Brown sugar packed
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 1/2 Cups Cups Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- In a saucepan combine figs, sugar, water and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thick and jam like. Cool.
- In a bowl, combine shortening, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in flour, soda and salt.
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface and knead a few times to make a smooth ball. With a floured rolling pin roll dough out to a 14 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Cut dough with a knife into 4 strips, 3 1/2 inches wide and 12 inches long.
- Spoon filling in a mound down the center of each strip. Using a spatula, turn in sides of each strip to enclose the filling. Press edges together and turn strip seam side down.
- With a sharp knife cut each strip into 10 pieces. Place on greased baking sheets and bake at 375 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes, or until fig newtons are puffed and firm to the touch.
- Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container in a cool dry place. Makes 40.
Exported from MasterCook II