I have been making this hot cinnamon candy since I was about 8. If you have trouble finding cinnamon oil, check your local ACE Hardware (I know, but try it) or the local drug store. Both usually have it. Be careful with that oil, it will peel paint (or the finish off your stove) if you spill it!
Aunt Myrtles Cinnamon Candy
- 4 cup Sugar
- 2 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cup White Corn Syrup karo
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Food Color
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Oil
- Combine all but Food Color and Cinnamon Oil in large heavy kettle
- Do NOT stir ever! Boil rapidly to hard crack stage.
- Remove from heat and add cinnamon oil and food color. BE CAREFUL, OIL WILL STEAM AND BURN YOUR SKIN!
- Pour quickly onto greased cookie sheet.
- For licorice flavor use approx 1/2 tsp green color and 2 tsp anise oil (or a little more)