Fig Bars # 2
- 12 Oz Moist Dried Figs
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1/2 Cup Butter Or Margarine
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking soda
- For filling: finely chop figs and mix in saucepan with sugar, water and lemon juice. Place over medium heat; cook, stirring for 10 min. or until thick & jam- like.
- Remove from heat; cool. Cover and chill.
- With mixer, beat together butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla until well blended.
- Mix flour, salt & baking soda. Stir into first mixture; dough will be stiff.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 3-4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Roll into a 14x12 rectangle. Cut into 4 strips 3-1/2 x 12 inches long.
- Spoon filling evenly down center of strips. With spatula, turn in sides of strips. Press edges together to seal.
- Cut each strip into 10 pieces. Arrange seam side down on baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 for 10-12 min. or until firm and lightly browned. Cool on racks. Store airtight. Note: chilling dough overnight is best.
Exported from MasterCook I