Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake
- Butter for greasing pan
- 16 tablespoons butter melted (2 sticks)
- 18.25 ounce package chocolate cake mix
- 3 egg divided
- 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 16 ounce box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 13-by- 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 1 egg, and 8 tablespoons (1 stick) melted butter, and stir until well blended.
- Pat mixture into prepared pan and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the remaining 2 eggs, and the cocoa powder. Lower the speed of the mixer, and add the powdered sugar.
- Continue beating until ingredients are well mixed.
- Slowly add the remaining 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of melted butter, and the vanilla, continuing to beat the mixture until smooth.
- Stir in nuts with a rubber spatula.
- Spread filling over cake mixture in pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the cake; the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking.
- Let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen